Guys. This is possible. This is not the end of the world. I brushed teeth, showered, shaved and washed and conditioned my hair, using 5L of water, and caught it all to use to flush the toilet tonight. To be honest, it was actually so easy, I’m aiming for 4L tomorrow.
1. Measure 5L hot water into a smallish bucket.
2. Take a quarter glass out to brush your teeth.
3. Wash your face. Best done first.
4. Flip your hair over the bucket and using a jug wet it.
5. Rinse over the bucket to catch all the water you shower with.
6. Repeat 4 and 5 to condition.
7. Soap up
8. Rinse yourself using the jug. Stand in a bigger container while you do this to catch all the water for your toilet.
9. Shave (do this last otherwise it’s gross).
I thought it would be impossible but this is so doable! Try it tomorrow and challenge a friend to so the same. This thing is real.
*EDIT – After some great and challenging conversation over this, I realise it’s important to acknowledge that thousands upon thousands in our city live like this every day. Except they don’t get to fill the bucket with hot water, from a tap, in a bathroom, in a house. I certainly hope that through this, and through conversation, we can acknowledge the inequality of our priviledge, and that this thing would become less about water and more about tackling some of the injustices around us.*