Dingaan Mokebe as James Motsamai
Here are 10 things you do not know about Dingaan Mokebe popularly known as James Motsamai on Muvhango
Dingaan is 36 years old, born January 1978
- He has been playing the character of James Motsamai in Muvhango since 2003
- Mokebe made his television debut as monosyllabic Back Of The Moon barman Dingaan, who fears and respects his boss, Sunny Jacobs, on the SABC1 soapie Generations in 1998
- He was later on fired in 2000 after voicing displeasure with his character’s story arc on the show
- Initially cast as an extra who was very rarely seen on Generations, his character suddenly won R10-million in the national lottery. Despite his newfound wealth, however, the character remained in the background working as a barman, which confused viewers and the actor himself.
- When Mokebe voiced reservations about his lack of character development he was released from his contract
- In the interim he has appeared in TV dramas such as Nna Sajene Kokobela and Umoja
- Dingaan was one of eight celebrities who competed in the second season of the SABC2 reality competition Strictly Come Dancing, in 2006. He and his partner Phemelo Mabuse were voted out fourth.
- He was later a presenter on the Community Builder Show and has featured in the numerous commercials for clients such as Smirnoff Red, Nedbank Million Dollar Challenge (as a ballboy collecting stray golf balls), Motsweding FM, Kelloggs, Coca Cola Mega Millions and Klipdrift.
- In 2013 he replaced Duncan Senye and Vuyelwa Booi as the sole host of the SABC2 consumer rights show Speak Out, starting with Season 6